Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Gratitude

Last night was Ash Wednesday.  Thus the 6 and a half weeks begins to the run up to Easter. For me it is always a time of mixed emotions. Let me explain further.

We all look forward to the excitement of Easter. Easter Sunday comes and we think of wonderful food with friends and family. Children wonder what the Easter Bunny will bring for them. In Canada, if Easter is not too early in the year, we begin dreaming of spring. Soon the dead earth will be awash in colour as the earth awakes from its long hibernation. In Sydney, we look forward to pleasantly warm days and cooler nights. The aircon gets a rest. Cooling rains might come and the brown earth might once again turn green.

However these 6 and a half weeks of lent are not about that. For centuries, the church saw this time of Lent as a time of great penitence. One broke bad habits, refrained from extravagant living, examined their lives, before they could get to the glories of Eastertide.  The church, in general, has moved away from the more self sacrificial nature of Lent, but Lent is still a time to reflect on one's life, make some positive changes, and to wait.

Last year for Lent, I wrote a daily blog. Now dear reader, you might think that it is easy for me. I mean I write a blog almost weekly, and I never run out of things to say. But to such a blog daily was more difficult. Some themes occurred more than once. And I had to stop myself from saying the same things.

This year I am going to do something a bit different. I am going to include a list with each blog post of things I am grateful for. I have been blessed in many ways. Hopefully by reminding myself of my blessings, I will gain a new insight into all of the wonders of my life.

So on March 1st- I give thanks that we are not alone. We had the joint Ash Wednesday service at Northbridge last night. I got to share leadership with colleagues from Northbridge, Castlecraig, Willoughby, Lanecove, the Lane Cove Community Ministry, Longueville, Willoughby, Crows Nest, Mosman Uniting Churches. It was wonderful to share leadership with them.

March 2nd- Today as I write this, the Sun is shining on a day where the forecast is for rain.  I give thanks for unexpected surprises.

Come back next week, where I will again share my blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment