Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Interdependence

In June, we held a book study here at the church on Diana Butler Bass' book, Grounded.  This month we are studying the same book in the Lower North Shore Zone of the Uniting Church. In one of the chapters it spends a lot of the time talking about Interdependence. Basically the concept is this, all life on this planet is dependent upon all living creatures and plants working together to make up a healthy ecosystem. If one species is threatened, that could topple the whole food chain. Climate change, over hunting, pollution all threaten the health of our world. Even though we humans are rather adaptable to variable climates and diets, we are still dependent on a healthy world to give us life. Too many changes threaten our very life as well.

In one way, this interdependence is hard for us to understand. For we as a species are bound to compare ourselves to others. We are prone to see problems as thankfully being over there and not here. For instance, each year surveys are published as to what countries are the best to live in. I take solace in the fact that the two countries in which I have lived always seem to rate in the top 5 most liveable countries. Other than short visits to a couple of developing countries, I don't know what it is like to live in countries on the bottom part of the list. Their reality seems so far from mine. It would be easy for me to say thank goodness I live in Australia or Canada and not somewhere else. It would be easy for me to think only of my well being and not that of others.

However, such local gazing is wrong. A North America First Nations version of the golden rule tell us that when one person suffers then we all suffer. How can this be you might say? I live in one of the top suburbs, in one of the best cities, in one of the globe's most liveable countries. I have won the lottery of life haven't I? Well in one way, yes you have. I am lucky to live where I do and to have had the opportunities that I have had, when so many people "over there" suffer.

Their suffering does effect me though. Diseases spring up in countries where there are not proper medical facilities. In our global world a single traveller can spread a disease to many different countries alarmingly quickly. Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking have been two of the greatest minds of the past 100 years. Yet how man other brilliant minds have been unable to produce theories that would benefit humanity because there was no one to teach them to read in their country. We might have our favourite authors who have inspired us, yet how many other great voices have been silenced because they live in a poor village, in a destitute country miles away from here. I suffer then because others face the hardship of war, because others are refugees, because others are illiterate, because others have no medical facilities. I suffer because I do not benefit from the rich gifts that so many people could give, but circumstances mean that they cannot share.

With this I am not suggesting that we give up everything and live just like the rest of the world. I like my computer, living in a city full of museums, concert halls, sports stadiums, hospitals, libraries, and safe drinking water. I would like to keep them thank you very much. However, maybe I need to be more concerned about my brothers and sisters around the world and how they are doing. My life would benefit if they had food to eat, safe water to drink, could go to school, had access to medical care.

In the same way, my life depends on the health of the ecosystems of this planet. I need to do what is necessary to ensure that all parts of the food chain, the oceans, the air, the fertile ground is healthy. I need to do my little part to cut pollution, to take only what I need, and to promote healthy living. My life depends on it. Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment